Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Ten Things I Couldn't Live Without After Having a Baby....

I'm 31. That means babies are all around me. It's true. I can name three friends who had a baby last week, and one of my best friends is due today. (And yes, I consider the Duchess of Cambridge my friend.)
I've been meaning to write this post for around 8 months now, but since people around be keep having babies, I don't feel bad. I feel like I'm guaranteed to help out at least one new mum. So here it goes- these are the 10 things that helped me survive those first weeks of motherhood...and beyond.

A few disclaimers before I begin:
a. I am a first time mum. Mothers of 2 or more have permission to chuckle under their breath as they read. Yes, I know you are superwomen, but you, too, were helpless, weak, and ignorant during your first weeks of parenthood.
b. If you had children over 5 years ago, I realize you survived without some of the items I will mention, and I could have too, but I just chose not to.
c. Many of my items are breastfeeding related because that's all I did for the first few months.
d. Items such as my husband, my mom, boobs, and diapers aren't on this list...everyone knows those are helpful.
e. Every mum and child are different. What worked for me may not work for you, but I still want to share.

In no particular order.....my top ten....

1. Swaddle Wraps- There is no reason to feel like a failing swaddler when you can velcro up your babe in a swaddle straight jacket. (I believe there are zipper versions as well) Our Smith loved being swaddled! We did it for five months. Real swaddling is so last year.






2. Wubbanub- 1.Super cute. 2. Hard to lose 3. Easier for baby to handle. 4. Machine washable (in a garment bag)




3. Sleep Nursing Bras- One of my best friends gave me the heads up on these gems. I hate and I have always hated tanks with built-in bras. Nursing tanks were no exception. Love love love these. You can find them at Target. (I have a whole lot to say about nursing bras/clothes-if you are interested, ask me personally.)

4. iPhone- Can you believe the iPhone has only been around for 6 years? How did we ever survive without it? I actually got an iPhone a month after having a baby, but I used an iPod touch during the first month. I'm gonna cheat and give you 3 items that all fall under #4.
1.You will want a tracking app such as WebMD Baby or Similac Baby Journal. You can track sleeping, pooping, peeing, and most importantly in those first weeks: feeding. I had no idea what time it was or when Smith last ate. Maybe I thought I did, but I was probably wrong. Also, you would be surprised how 5 minutes of nursing in the middle of the night feels like 45 minutes. These apps usually have lots of helpful videos and articles to read in the middle of the night as well
2. White noise app- I have the basic version, but John has the paid version. which has more sounds and allows mixing of sounds.  He mixed heartbeat with washing machine, and I am pretty sure that is exactly what it sounded like in my belly. Super handy to have on the go!
3. Social Media Apps of your choice- What's there to do at 4 o'clock in the morning? Check Facebook. Or Twitter. Or Instagram. Don't judge me for having a baby in one hand and my iPhone in the other. (Another perk of breastfeeding: That other hand would have to hold a bottle instead of the iPhone!)

5. Motherlove Nipple Cream- The regular Lanolin cream is crap. It's oily, messy, gross and stains your clothes. Get some of this natural stuff and you will be happier. I promise. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's wortth it.
 

6. My Brest Friend- I am anti-Boppy. I tried it, and was not impressed. I preferred the more obnoxious "My Brest Friend" pillow. The name is obnoxious, and the pillow itself kind of is as well. You actually have to clip it around you. I like it because it was a bit more sturdy than the Boppy and provided me with some back support. Breastfeeding was HARD at first, and this baby made it easier.
*note: Do not take this contraption out in public. 



7. Library- PSA: Every child needs books in their home. I was blessed to have a stocked library for Smith before he was born, not just because I'm a teacher, but because some amazing friends threw me a shower where instead giving a card with a gift, each guest gave a book. How great is that? In addition to these books, I also signed Smith up to receive one free book a month until the age of 5. Many states have programs like this, such as Dolly Parton's Imagination Library program. In Georgia, it's The Ferst Foundation. Check to see if there is one near you!

8. MealTrain.com- People have been making a bringing meals to new moms for ages, but this website makes it so much easier! You or a friend can set up a "meal train" with dates, preferences, drop off times, etc... and email it out to a preferred list or even post it on Facebook. We had 3-4 meals a week for over a month after Smith was born. Hallelujah! It would have been really nice to have right after I started back to work, too. Just sayin.

9. Light dimmer- I admit, I thought John went a little overboard putting dimmers on the lights in nearly every room in our house after we moved in, but man, did it come in handy once Smith was born. Dimmers FTW.

10. Streaming Video Membership- I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but for a mother who is pretty against screen time for her own baby, I watched a lot of TV on maternity leave. Netflix and Hulu were my best friends. What else are you going to do when your baby is nursing for over an hour every 2-3 hours? Yes, you can check Facebook, but that's better for the middle of the night feedings. He didn't even know what was happening...until about 2 months in when he became transfixed by the screen. Enjoy it while you can, ladies.

11. Amazon Prime/Mom Membership- Did I say 10 things? Oops. I have to add this. I am seriously addicted to Amazon.com. Last year I signed up for an Amazon Mom membership when I decided to register with Amazon. Perks of a Prime membership: Instant Streaming (like Netflix or Hulu), Kindle Lending Library, discounts on subscribe and save products (I've never used this) and my personal favorite: FREE 2 day shipping. It is soooo much easier not only when you have a newborn, but just in normal life to order something online than to find the time to drive to a store and hope they have what you need. Plus, prices are typically cheaper on Amazon. It's a lifesaver, especially for this lazy, carseat hating mum.

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies

There you have it! Let me know if any of my suggestions help or if you have any thing to add!



No comments: