Monday, February 18, 2013

Daffodils and Dreams Fulfilled

Dear Smith,
So what began as a birthday month activity has now evolved into whenever I find the time to write to you. I have so much to tell you (and your future sibling(s?)) that I have decided to just keep writing.

After two and a half weeks of being back to work (and feeling like Superwoman, I might add), I experienced the joy of sleeping in on a Monday again. I fed you at 6 (which is awesome of you, since I usually wake up at 5 a.m.) and went back to bed until around 7. I decided to take advantage of my alone time by getting a little Jillian Michaels workout in. While in the midst of a military press or something of the like, I noticed my daffodils were blooming outside and I got a bit teary. Why, you ask?


You see, in October of 2011, I lost my third baby. It was heartbreaking of course, especially after hearing our little one's strong heartbeat just weeks earlier. I won't go into all the details of my miscarriages and whatnot, but do know that you have three amazing, loved, and adored siblings in heaven.
I felt the need to find a way to honor these three babies. With miscarriages, there are no funeral services, but there is still grief. There is still loss of life to deal with, the thoughts of what might have been. I needed to do something, but what?

I love daffodils. When I see them, I know spring just around the corner. I can remember driving across Lost Bridge Road in Decatur when I was growing up, and there would always be a patch of happy little daffodils that would spring up on the left just before reaching the Lake Shore Drive intersection. I would always get so excited when I saw them. (In Illinois, the arrival of spring is met with great joy. It's just not the same here in Georgia where the winters liken an Illinois spring). Nonetheless, I still love daffodils.
God gave me the idea to plant some daffodil bulbs that October. I felt like it would be a prophetic act. He told me that when they blossomed in the spring, it would represent the promise of new life happening in me. And this life would live to see the sunshine, the daffodils, and many, many springs to come.
So I did just that. I have to admit I was a little fearful. My luck with plants was nonexistent at that point. I can't say that I've had any plant under my care live- embarrassing, but true.
John and I had a beautiful little service after planting the bulbs. I watered them with my tears and remained hopeful I'd see fruit, er, flowers in the spring.
Well, God is good and love always wins.
Wouldn't you know that right after I found out I was pregnant, those daffodils sprouted and bloomed! In February!!!
My fears of losing another baby were pretty much nonexistent. Those flowers were a sign that His promise was true, and I was overjoyed.
Several months later, I welcomed you, Smith Errington Pitzer, into this world. A year after losing one life, we gained another. In fact, that nasty devil had been trying to ruin Birthday Month with miscarriages two years in a row, but God redeemed it. Now I have even more to celebrate.
And today I celebrate even more. The daffodils are blooming again. I can't wait to show you. It's your first spring, the first of many, many spring to come.
Love,
Mum

No comments: