Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Baby Registry: Part 2 Playtime!

Part 2 of The Baby Registry... After Thoughts

Playtime

A lot of these items did not even exist when I was a baby, and if they did they were in a much more basic form. So do you need any of these items? Not really...for centuries, women have managed with out them, but people lived without iPhones 6 years ago and I wouldn't do that now. :)

Activity Gym/Playmat
Alright, so I was very close to not putting this on my registry...can't you just throw a blanket down on the ground?  In the end, I conceded because I thought it was something people would buy and it was that perfect present price. I was right! Due to a Babies R Us glitch, I received 2! I kept one, still skeptical. I  think we began using it pretty early on for tummy time/activity time. Around the 6-8 week mark, Smith became entranced with the dangling animals and the plastic mirror that makes you look completely distorted. At three months, he's actively swatting/kicking/cooing/smiling/rolling over daily. Everyone is happy about the activity gym. We have the Infantino Twist n/' Fold Activity Gym. It folds up nicely and isn't too atrocious looking, although my dad said he thought it was ugly. Whatever.

Swing
So..most moms may think I am cray-cray for saying this, but we honestly don't use the swing very much. Maybe once a week. Do I love it? Yes. We got a fantastic swing: My Little Snugabunny  It is huge, but at least it blends in with our decor (as much a large swing can). It swings forward/back and side to side. It plugs into the wall (not all do). Smith loves it. It can play music or make nature sounds. It can play music AND make nature sounds simultaneously. It has a mobile AND the distorted mirror feature. It is the Caddy of baby swings.
So why don't you use it much, Alyson?
Frankly, John and I have been very intentional about not using "crutches" to get Smith to sleep. At around 4 weeks old we started to use it, but while it was a quick fix for naptime, we wanted to be intentional about him being able to sleep in his non-swinging bed. I think it was a good decision.
So could we have done without it? Yes. Now ask me what I do with my second child in a few years...I have a feeling that swing may get more use!

Bouncer Seat
As much as I was looking forward to being a mum, I was not looking forward to flashy, primary colored gadgets and gear taking over my home. I figured it was somewhat inevitable, and I decided to make every effort to find the least offensive looking baby items that I could find (in my opinion). The Snugabunny swing was nice and neutral-colored. There's also a Snugabunny bouncer. A lot of the bouncy seats out there vibrate, play music,  have mobiles...it was a little too much for me. Did I really need the Snugabunny swing and the bouncer with all their fancy features? Eventually I found a bouncy seat I LOVED. The price? Not so much. The Bjorn Babysitter Balance. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it costs so much, but it is my favorite. And for another $40 you can get a wooden spin toy that attaches to it. It's simple, sleek, stores flat, requires zero batteries, has a machine washable cover, and the baby has to bounce themselves to be entertained (no "crutches", right??). Please don't judge my snobbery on this item. I know it's utterly ridiculous. (I did score a pretty killer deal on it though...just sayin')
My sister-in-law ended up giving me a vibrating chair, too. It doesn't bounce, but it does play music.
Whatever you decide, get some type of seat that you can move around the house easily. It's great to be able to set the baby down to get things done.

Exersaucer
This is probably my least favorite playtime toy because I find to be the most intrusive baby item due to its size, bright colors, and inability to pack up and hide away. Nothing screams "I have a child" quite like a gigantic exersaucer in the the middle of your living room. I'm sure it can give children hours of entertainment, but I wasn't looking forward to having one. I decided that I would find one to borrow. IT was the perfect solution! I could use it during those key months and then give it back without having to find a place to store it. I still may do that, but I think I found something that may let me avoid the exersaucer altogether: the GoPod (thanks to my sister-in-law). It doesn't bounce, twirl, flash, or play music, but I think it can work. You can attach toys to it to entertain your little one. Plus, it folds up like a camp chair so you can take it anywhere! Smith is still a little young for this one, but I am hoping it was a good choice!


Bumbo Chair
The Bumbo chair is my new best friend. Apparently there was a voluntary recall back in August, and they have now added a restraint belt to the chair. I inherited the chair my nephews used, so no restraint belt for me. I'm not too concerned because at this point Smith can't do much but sit up in the chair, and boy, does he love it! I sit him in front of me, a mirror, the dangle toys on his activity mat- all over! And he is a happy camper. The Bumbo chair is only useful for a few months, but well worth it! I'd borrow one.
*Correction* I noticed on Amazon it's called the Bumbo FLOOR seat-reminding us all that this wonderful device should only ever be placed on the floor.

Johnny Jump Up
This item wasn't on my registry, but I added a Johnny Jump Up to Smith's Christmas list this year. I think these are pretty hilarious, and we have the perfect spot for one in our home. I think he's just about ready for it...ask me in a month how I like it.

Books
I am that crazy aunt who always buys books for her nieces and nephews. I love books. I love reading. I love the library. Don't register for books, but do gladly welcome them! Instead of receiving cards with my gifts at one of my baby showers, all the guests gave Smith a book. It was the best idea! We've been reading EVERY night before he goes to bed, and I swear he loves it!
Another thing to look into is the Books from Birth program in Tennessee or the Ferst Foundation in Georgia. Children are sent one FREE book a month from age 0 to 5. There may be similar programs in other states. I am only familiar with these two.

Humans
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the best playtime accessory: a human being! (Not every human is appropriate for your little one, so use careful judgement when selecting playmates). Smith LOVES his mum and dad. We could smile back and forth at each other all day, and I would consider my life fulfilled. If you asked Smith, and he could talk, I am sure he would say the same. We smile, make faces, sing, copy each other's sounds and Smith thinks it's the greatest thing on earth. Scientists will even tell you that babies love faces. They say looking at faces helps a baby learn about social interaction and communication skills.
You are your baby's favorite toy! Plus you are free and don't require batteries.

That's as far as I got with toys/playtime on my baby registry. I'm figuring between grandparents, hand-me-downs, birthdays, and Christmases- Smith will eventually end up with more than enough toys.

Happy Playtime!!

No comments: