Monday, January 14, 2013

The Baby Registry: Part 1


One of my friends wrote an excellent post going over registry items after she had her baby. It made quite an impression on me, so much so that I referred to it over a year later when I (finally) was able to create my own baby registry. Now that I'm a new mom, I’ve had several mums-to-be ask me various questions about baby gear, so I've decided to do the same thing. 
I want to also mention I used the book Baby Bargains as well to help guide my registry item selection. A new edition comes out every couple of years. I'd say it's worth getting the latest edition- as what is safe/good/recalled seems to change quite often.  Also, YouTube is your best friend. There is a plethora of video reviews on all kinds of baby gear out there. While getting your hands on things is the best option, seeing videos of the equipment in action is the next best thing!
Warnings: 
This post is LONG.
 Update:  I have since decided to break it up into smaller, more digestible posts. You're welcome.
These are my recommendations/thoughts/opinions. I've learned every mum/family/baby is different, but I love gathering information and advice and then making an informed decision- now you can do the same. 
Here we go:

Where To Register? 
I chose to register with 3 stores. I was a little nervous about that choice, but in the end, I am glad I did. Each store had its own benefits and drawbacks. Here's my logic behind my choices:
Target- I selected Target because I knew it would be easy for my gift givers. When I got married, I think I received everything on my Target registry. It's convenient, easy, and accessible. I was extremely disappointed at the selection offered in the store, but I registered for the basics there. There is a greater selection online and although most people won't purchase from the Target website, you can always use gift cards online.
Babies R Us-  Omigoodness. When we walked into a Babies R Us, I nearly freaked out. It was oh-so overwhelming.  It was really helpful to be in the store and see everything in person. It was key in helping me select my stroller. Great selection here, but not as many people have access to a BRU. Even if they do, they would probably rather go to Target.
Amazon.com- I have a problem. I am addicted to Amazon. I. love. it. I am an Amazon Prime/Amazon Mom member- and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. An Amazon mom has all the benefits of an Amazon Prime member (Free instant streaming (like Netflix), the Kindle lending library, and free 2 day shipping) plus 5% off diapers and wipes. My UPS man must think I am crazy because I use the heck out of that free 2 day shipping. It is usually quicker for me to buy something on Amazon than to find time to get to the store. A one year membership is $79. Consider it.
Anyway- I registered with Amazon because it has an incredible selection and offers free 5-7 day shipping to non-prime members on orders over $25. Not everyone is okay with buying online, but perhaps your younger gift givers may select this options. I know I would. 
On-The-Go Items
Carseat
We chose to go with the infant carrier rather than a convertible carseat. I liked this option for two main reasons:  1) no need to remove a sleeping baby from their carseat  2) the ability to snap it right into a stroller. Infant carriers seem to be the more popular choice these days. 
We went with the Britax B-Safe carseat because I wanted a travel system (carseat and stroller). This seat was not only good lookin' but had high safety ratings. It seemed to be on the lighter side as well (weight has become a key factor to me with baby gear now!) The Graco SnugFit and Chicco Key Fit are also highly rated, popular infant carriers, but I ultimately chose the Britax because it was my favorite travel system option.
I will say that I HATE carrying Smith in the carseat. It is so awkward and heavy, and I feel like I am trying so hard not to knock him against my legs as a carry him. (I'm not sure how much he really cares). I am getting better with the forearm hold. There is crazy zig zag handle design that seems like it might be easier to carry, but who knows? At 3 months, I am more than willing to whip out our stroller and snap the B-Safe in for a smooth and easy ride. 
Here's a glimpse of my travel system. And yes, there does to be a polka-dot-like pattern on the carseat. I just can't escape dots. 
Thoughts on carseat accessories:
Mirror- Not totally necessary, but Smith seems to enjoy looking at himself these days
Dangle Toys-I didn't register for these, but got the CUTEST Eric Carle dangles and I love them. Smith is just now at 3 months starting to notice/swat at them. 
Seat protector-Not necessary now, but I can see how it could be down the road with a toddler- especially if you allow food in the car
Cover- A teacher from my school made the cutest cover with loops that attach around the handle. Unfortunately, it's blue/green/brown and doesn't really "go" with my baby gear. (I know, I am terrible.) Most of the time I throw one of my Aden & Anias swaddle blankets over the seat when he is sleeping. I feel like they shut out the world, but are still breathable. 
Head/Neck Support- A lot of carseats come with this, but the B-Safe did not. I have one, but never used it in the carseat. It proved to be more useful for the stroller. 
Bundler- I live in Georgia. It was 75 degrees yesterday on January 13. Not necessary for us. 
Extra base- I recommend registering for one. Although the base not difficult to remove, it is nice to just be able to click the carseat in either car and GO! A nice bonus if you can swing it :)

Stroller (s)
There are oh-so-many stroller options ranging from super cheap to nearly $1K. How can this even be? I thought long and hard about our stroller choice...did lots of research...and here is what worked best for me:
I wanted a travel system that was lightweight, packed up nicely, and was cute (duh!!). I considered going for the stroller frame. I knew I could use that during the carseat phase and then transition to a lightweight umbrella stroller. I can't remember exactly why I didn't go that route except for the fact that I loved the look of the Britax B-Agile. It was extremely lightweight for a travel system stroller and it folded in half just like that! I also liked look and maneuverability of a 3 wheeled stroller. Another bonus was the super huge canopy. I wanted to protect my little guy from the sunlight, and when the carseat is clicked in- you can pull both canopies together and you can't see the baby at all! Perfect for hiding your precious newborn from gawkers/coughers/sneezers and helping block out the world for naps on the go! I debated on getting the City Mini stroller (it is basically the same thing as the B-Agile), but I would have had to add on a car seat adapter and I couldn't get a carseat that matched as perfectly and beautifully as the B-Safe. 

I also was blessed to get a BOB Revolution stroller!! This was a bonus for me and something I was super excited about. BOB strollers are some of the top of the line running strollers, and I hope to take  Smith out for runs with me in the future. (BOB recommends waiting until babies are 6-8 months old before jogging with them). Although they are pricey, I was sold on them after I compared my friend's double BOB with a single Jeep brand jogging stroller. It was actually easier for me to running with the double BOB with two kids in it than it was to run with the Jeep stroller. The BOB strollers are extremely well built. Lucky for me, that same friend knew how impressed I was and she pooled money together for a group gift and I got my very own BOB! YAYAY!

Baby Carriers
There are lots of baby carriers out there. I have 3. Let me explain.
1. Moby wrap-I like the idea of this one. It's simply a giant strip (and I mean GIANT) of fabric that you ninja wrap around you and tuck your little babe inside. There are all different kinds of ways you can carry the baby-I've only used one so far. The Moby can be used with newborns which is a bonus. 

2. Ergo- This carrier came highly recommended to me. I have a super cute organic one with a Petunia Picklebottom design. It is lightweight and comfortable. I've been told that it continues to be a comfortable way to carry your little one as they get bigger. 

3. Britax Baby Carrier- The only reason I have this is because of a promotion by Britax. See below.
I haven't used it yet. 

Honestly, I haven't used any of my carriers a great deal, but I hope to use them more in the future. I think they could be really handy for trips in the grocery store and getting things done around the house. 

Diaper Bag
I treated myself early on during my pregnancy to a Kate Spade Stevie diaper bag. I love Kate Spade and I got a killer deal. I got a little nervous because it is a huge bag- but I fill that thing up easily! And it matches my stroller and carseat. Because I am cute like that. For my birthday we went to the Kate Spade outlet and got a red wallet for a great deal, too. I say if you care, get something you LOVE. It's like your purse, you take it everywhere!
Another brand of diaper bags that I love are Timi & Leslie. They look like purses and you not only get the large bag, but a clutch, insulated bottle tote, stroller straps, zippered sac for soiled clothes/diapers and a changing pad. They thought of EVERYTHING! 

That should get you started! Other mums: feel free to add your thoughts and comments. Oh, and the info for the free carseat is below!

Happy Shopping!

Britax Promotion
If you send in the UPC of a stroller, carseat, carrier, large accessory and small accessory, you get a Britax Boulevard carseat for FREE! This is one of the highest rated, safest convertible carseat on the the market- regularly $320!!! I used a gift card to help pay for the Britax carrier and the rest of the items were already on my registry (BOB items and Britax items are eligible). 

No comments: